'Brain dead' son wakes up after gun-toting dad's standoff with doctors who wanted to turn life support off

Desperate Father Takes Gun to Hospital to Prevent Doctors from Ending Life Support on his ‘Brain Dead’ Son

George Pickering's son was diagnosed as "brain dead" almost a year ago. "Terminal Wean" is a process which puts into action wherein an individual life is put to an end by slowly removing his life support.

He said he felt hopeless as the hospital staff was moving too fast. "Sadly, after a few hours, the doctors declared that nothing can be done in Pickering's case and chose to declare him brain-dead".

He admitted being drunk and aggressive but said he only behaved as he did as he knew his son wasn't ready to die.

Mr Pickering was charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and jailed.

Pickering grabbed a gun, walked into the hospital and became locked in a stand-off with police.

During the standoff, which lasted several hours, Pickering said his son squeezed his hand three or four times.

Gary Hammond, Tomball police's head of criminal investigations, told the Houston Chronicle at the time that Pickering was "distraught" over the care his son, George Pickering III, was receiving.

He was quickly disarmed by his other son, but continued to make threats, and lied about having another weapon. Hospital staff even notified an organ donation organization that Pickering's son was an organ donor. "Everything good that made me a man is because of that man".

When George Pickering II learned the hospital in which his comatose son was being cared for planned to take him off life support, he did the only thing he could think of: He loaded a gun and held hospital staff hostage until they changed their plans. Pickering said he still has people come up to him and say, "I thought you dead".

The elder Pickering was released from jail in December after he was given credit for time previously served.

"It's the duty of a parent to protect your children and that's all he did", Pickering III said.

"At this time, the SWAT team had already opened the door to the critical care room and he had surrendered to the police, but he surrendered knowing his son had squeezed his hand", she added.

Authorities say he surrendered after he was told his son would not be weaned from life support. Mankind was the witness to one such incident wherein a father's heart believed that his son still had the chances of making it alive. "It was love, it was love".


One of the charges has been dismissed and the other was lessened.

Related News: